Moving house – it is a milestone that brings a combination of excitement and stress, but when it comes to moving day, we only want you to enjoy the process. With our guide of last-minute tips for the day, you can relax and take it all in, entering your new home in a state of confidence and happiness.
Your moving day packing list
Whilst packing your home up into boxes and bags, you will realise that there are some things which cannot be packed until the final day, and some things which you’ll want to leave until the last minute for your ease. Use our checklist to make sure that you have everything packed in a way that saves you time and effort on moving day.
Safety – belongings that should be packed in a safe place that you can keep your eyes (and hands) on
- Important, legal documents such as passports, birth certificates, and driving licences
- Credit and debit cards, as well as any loose cash
- Laptops and tablets
- Any irreplaceable heirlooms
Convenience – belongings that should be packed at the last minute, just to make life easier!
- Toilet paper and paper towels
- Bin bags
- Chargers for phones, laptops, and tablets
- One change of clothes for everyone in the family
- Snacks and drinks for both you and your pets
- A small toy for children and pets to keep them occupied at the new house
- Kettle, mugs, and tea bags
- A toolbox
Things to do on moving day
When leaving your home
- Oversee the loading of the moving van, ensuring that your items are stored correctly and safely.
- Take a note of your meter readings.
- Once the van is loaded, do one final, thorough check of your home, checking drawers and cupboards in every room. This includes the loft or basement, and garage if applicable.
- Wipe down your surfaces to create a clean, welcoming environment for the next owners. You may even want to take photographs of each room as proof that the home was left in good condition.
- Check that all windows and doors are locked, including the front door once you have left.
- You may choose whether you would like to leave a gift for them, such as a box of chocolates, a card or even a bottle of champagne.
- Once you have left the property and locked up securely, be sure to return the keys to the relevant people.
Upon arrival at your new home
- Check the condition of boxes when being unloaded from the van. Check for any that appear damaged and assess the items inside.
- Check that the van is empty before the removal company
- Check that no belongings have been left by the previous owners.
- Take a note of the meter readings.
- Boil the kettle, or pop that champagne, and get ready for a day of unpacking and celebrations.
For advice, guidance or support with your house move, get in touch with our team of friendly experts here at Mitchells Moving Company. Contact us to find out how the services we provide can help to make the moving process hassle-free. Call 0800 023 4610 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today.